As modern men become increasingly proactive about their overall well-being, including their appearance, it is becoming more and more acceptable—and even expected—for men to get their chests, arms, backs, and other parts of their bodies waxed. In fact, it is currently in vogue for men to strike the delicate balance between a rugged, masculine look, which often includes a well-groomed beard or mustache, and a sleek, refined aesthetic. At Men’s Spa Salon Minneapolis, we offer a variety of male waxing or “manscaping” services to help our male clients look and feel their best.
There are many reasons to consider male waxing, including a neat and up-to-date style, better hygiene, and even enhanced athletic performance. In addition, waxing tends to result in smoother, less irritated skin than shaving. Are you curious about getting waxed, but want to know more about what the process entails? Here are a few tips to help you maximize results and minimize discomfort for your male waxing session:
- Avoid shaving before your appointment. Hair needs to be at least a little bit long in order for the wax to adhere to it. On the other hand, excessively long hair may make the waxing process more time-consuming and painful. Ideally, body hair should be between one-quarter inch and three quarters of an inch long at the time of waxing.
- Prep your skin. Waxing may cause irritation in some people—particularly those with sensitive skin. To minimize the odds of a rash or break-out, wash the area in question with a gentle cleanser prior to your treatment. Consider exfoliating with a scrub, such as one containing salicylic acid, to get rid of dead skin, which could clog pores and increase the chances of ingrown hairs after your waxing treatment. Be sure to moisturize after exfoliating.
- Any pain associated with waxing is usually fleeting, but if you’re concerned about this aspect, take an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory/pain reliever in advance of your treatment. This will keep soreness at bay and reduce any possible swelling.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing to your appointment in order to reduce chafing on your newly bare skin.
- Soon after your treatment and in the days that follow, frequently apply a skin-soothing moisturizer—particularly one with SPF, as freshly waxed skin is more likely to burn when exposed to the sun. If you find that you are particularly itchy or irritated, use a hydrocortisone cream to reduce redness and inflammation.
- Avoid ultra-hot showers after your treatment. Waxing opens your pores, leaving your skin more vulnerable to redness and dryness—which may be exacerbated by scalding water.
- Stay out of the gym immediately before and after your treatment. If you exercise just before getting waxed, sweat could interfere with the wax’s ability to stick to your hair—and working up a sweat right after your treatment could contribute to irritation.
- Schedule your next appointment. Unfortunately, your skin won’t stay flawlessly smooth forever. Depending on factors like the thickness of your hair and how fast it typically grows, you will probably want to schedule another waxing service in two to six weeks.
By following these simple tips, male waxing can provide you with a well-trimmed, stylish appearance and minimal discomfort. At Men’s Spa Salon, we offer a variety of male waxing services, including waxing for your eyebrows, chest, back, and legs, as well as “man-kini” and “guy-zilian” waxing. Our skilled team is available to provide the service that best suits your needs and style. Contact us today to learn more about our male waxing services!